Quantum Reading Learning Vision (Quantum RLV) is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act). Any personal information we collect will be handled in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) outlined in the Privacy Act and any applicable state or territory legislation.
Privacy law is regulated by the Australian Information Commissioner. Further information about privacy legislation can be obtained from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website at: www.oaic.gov.au
- We respect your privacy – Quantum RLV is committed to maintaining the privacy of your personal information. This policy sets out how we collect, use and manage personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and APPs contained therein.
- Collection of personal information - The Privacy Act defines personal information as “information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.” Quantum RLV will only collect personal information necessary to deliver our services and conduct the business activities that support this. We may collect the following types of personal information: contact details; details for next of kin or emergency contact; job applications; payment details and other information relevant to the relationship of the individual with Quantum RLV. We may also collect sensitive information such as details of a complaint; eye condition; and/or other health information where relevant to the eye condition and/or services sought by the individual.
- Information collected on our website - In common with many websites we may collect aggregated information which tells us about visitors to the Quantum RLV site but not the identity of those visitors. For example, we may collect information about the date, time and duration of visits and which pages of the Quantum RLV website are most commonly accessed. This information is used by us to help to administer and improve the Quantum RLV website. The Quantum RLV website may use ‘cookies’. Cookies are small files which are stored on a user's computer. They are designed to hold a modest amount of data specific to a particular client and website: and can be accessed either by the web server or the client computer. This allows the server to deliver a page tailored to a particular user, or the page itself can contain some script which is aware of the data in the cookie and so is able to carry information from one visit to the website (or related site) to the next. Cookies may also be used to manage security and store information about the type of browser being used. With most internet browsers, users can erase cookies from their computer, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. However, some parts of the Quantum RLV site may not function fully for users that disallow cookies.
- Methods of collecting personal information – Quantum RLV collects personal information through a variety of methods including electronic or face to face interactions; interaction with our website; requests for information; and provision of goods and services. We collect personal information directly from individuals or their authorised representatives; through referrals from other service providers; and from suppliers and our approved agents/dealers.
- Use of personal information – Quantum RLV uses personal information to provide goods and services. We may also use personal information to notify individuals of information and opportunities they may be interested in. De-identified data may be used to meet regulatory and funding requirements or for the purposes of internal reporting and improvement of services. Where not previously requested, and in accordance with Privacy legislation, we may use personal information to communicate with individuals through newsletters or direct marketing. All such communications will provide an option to opt out or unsubscribe. Requests to opt out or unsubscribe can be directed to email@example.com or by contacting us on 1300 883 853.
- Security of personal information – Quantum RLV will take reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse, interference and loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Personal information held by Quantum RLV is stored electronically in secure databases, or where retention of hard copy documents is required, in secure filing systems. Only authorised Quantum RLV personnel are provided with access to individuals’ personal information. Where personal information is no longer required by Quantum RLV, or where required by law, Quantum RLV will take reasonable steps to securely destroy or de-identify information in accordance with legal requirements for retention and disposal.
- Data Breach Notification – Quantum RLV accepts its obligation to keep personal information safe and is open and transparent in how data is handled. In the event that personal data systems are breached, data is misused or lost, then Quantum RLV will take all reasonable and practicable means to contact individuals whose personal information is involved. Quantum RLV will advise such individuals of the extent of the data breach (if known) and advise individuals of the most appropriate means of regaining control of their information, in an effort to limit the personal impact of the breach. If appropriate, Quantum RLV will also report any breach of data to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
- Access and correction - Individuals may request access to the personal information Quantum RLV holds about them. Where reasonable and practicable to do so, and in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act, Quantum RLV will provide supervised access to an individual’s personal information. Requests to access personal information must be made in writing, either by email or hard copy. In the event access to records requires a significant allocation of resources, we may charge a reasonable administration fee to cover costs. Corrections or updates to personal information supplied by clients or their authorised representatives must be made by the individual or their authorised representative. In all cases, Quantum RLV staff must be satisfied changes are authorised by the individual in question. Requests to change personal information supplied by clients or their authorised representative will be actioned as a priority.
- Use, adoption or disclosure of government related identifiers -Quantum RLV will not use, adopt or disclose an identifier assigned to an individual by a Commonwealth agency unless required to by law or where reasonably necessary to provide our services and conduct the business activity to support delivery of the service and in accordance with the APPs.
- Anonymity and pseudonymity - Where practical, individuals may deal with Quantum RLV anonymously or using a pseudonym. The majority of our services, however, will require collection of personal information to enable Quantum RLV to provide the appropriate goods, services or response.
Australian Privacy Principles (APPs): principles pertaining to the handling of personal information as set out in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (Cth) (Reform Act).
Client: Any person who engages the services of Quantum RLV, including parents, family or guardians of children receiving services from us.
Individual: a client, volunteer, job applicant, or staff member of Quantum RLV.
Suppliers, Agents/Dealers: supplies goods or services to Quantum RLV or sells goods and services on behalf of Quantum RLV
Sensitive information: a subset of personal information. Includes information or an opinion about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, memberships, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, health information, criminal record or genetic information.
Staff: All paid persons undertaking work for the Organisation, including employees, volunteers, individuals on work experience, student placements, secondments and contractors.
OAIC: Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. The OAIC is responsible for Privacy, Freedom of Information and information policy.
• Privacy Act 1988 & Australian Privacy Principles
• Applicable state and territory health and information privacy legislation